Good day lovelies, there is a popular saying that goes ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away‘ as believable as this sounds, some researchers beg to differ saying an apple a day may not necessarily keep the doctor away. I remember my mum used to emphasize on a regular consumption of apples as she believes it is very good for improved eyesight. However in this post we will be taking an in-depth look into the real and essential benefits that can be gotten from a regular intake of apples. The ‘Granny Smith’ apple species have been qualified as one of the best species of apples as it possesses numerous health and beauty properties in comparison to other apple species. Also we have the popular red apples and rose apples.
Here are a few of my favorite benefits of apples.
- Improved brain health/preventing Alzheimer’s disease and dementia- Alzheimer’s disease is a neurological disorder in which the death of brain cells causes memory loss and cognitive decline. A neurodegenerative type of dementia, the disease starts mild and gets progressively worse. (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159442.php). Apples help keep a balanced brain health hereby preventing the death of brain cells which may later lead to dementia.
- Reducing risks of stroke- Research has shown that consuming colored fruits play a big role in reducing the risks of coming up with a stroke. Apples are high in dietary fiber and also contain a flavonoid called quercetin, which may play a role in curbing stroke..
- Reducing levels of bad cholesterol- Apples contain antioxidants and pectin which help lower the level of bad cholesterol in the body, raises good cholesterol level and also aids in weight loss.
- Reducing risk of diabetes- A 2013 study led by the Harvard School of Public Health found that eating apples, blueberries and grapes significantly lower one’s risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Researchers examined data from 187,382 participants in three studies, looking specifically at overall fruit consumption. They found that people who ate at least two servings each week of certain fruits reduced their risk for type 2 diabetes by 23 percent in comparison with those who ate less than one serving per month. (https://www.stemilt.com/health-nutrition/decrease-diabetes-risk-apples/)
- Healthier whiter teeth- Chewing action on apples while eaten have been recognised to have a scrubbing effect on the teeth hereby aiding in the whitening of teeth naturally.
- Protect against parkinson’s disease- Flavonoid possessing foods such as apples also help in preventing diseases such as the parkinson’s disease with regular consumption.
- Treat diarrhea and constipation- Apples possess high fibre content which is very good and effective in overcoming constipation and treating diarrhea.
Other benefits include:
- Prevent hemorrhoids
- Control weight
- Detoxify the liver
- Boost immune system
- Prevents cataracts
- Also it helps keep cancers in check
It is not necessary to wait till a health situation comes up before thinking of adding apples to our regular diet. It is easier and safer to keep diseases far from our bodies before it get us. Having an apple as a snack, dessert or even a smoothie can help give your body the right balance to fight against and prevent severe and life threatening health conditions and unwanted diseases. I believe the saying is indeed true ” an apple a day keeps the doctor away”.