Lime is a hybrid fruit from the citrus family which includes Oranges, Tangerine, Lemons and Grapes amidst other variations. The Lime fruit also has various sub-species and is very rich in Vitamin C. It is often used to accent flavors of foods and beverages because of its sharp taste. In this article we delve into the various health and beauty benefits of lime and educate ourselves on how to make the best of the small but very effective fruit.
The health benefits of lime can not be overestimated, from skin care to weight loss to relief from cold and indigestion, Lime is one fruit you would always love to have around. Here are some of the awesome health benefits of lime.
- Scurvy– This is an ailment that results from insufficient Vitamin C in the body system and Lime is a sure way to prevent and cure it.
- Skin care– Lime juice can boost your general skin health. It can be consumed orally or applied externally to help rejuvenate the skin. It is often used in creams and body oils and is best applied at night. It possesses antibiotic and antioxidant properties and helps get rid of dead skin cells, dandruff and rashes on the skin.
- Digestion– The acid nature of Lime helps in effective digestion. It helps break down food molecules and prevent constipation.
- Diabetes– Lime is one of the most suitable foods for the prevention and cure of diabetes, it regulates the amount of glucose absorbed into the bloodstream and prevents glucose hike in the blood.
- Heart disease– The soluble fibre content found in lime helps cut down inflammation of blood vessels and is a preventive measure against heart diseases, heart attacks and strokes.
- Respiratory disorders– Scratching the peel of a lime and inhaling it serves as instant relief from congestions and nausea.
- Weight loss– A glass or two a day of warm water and lime juice serves as an excellent fat burner.
- Peptic ulcers
- Eye care
- Urinary disorders
- Prostate and colon cancers.
Lime works perfectly for a variety of ailments, overall health maintenance and prevention. However in case of applying lime to the skin it may react if the skin is being exposed to sunlight, endeavor to wear sunblock and protective clothing or better apply at night. Also the safety of lime during pregnancy and breastfeeding is unclear, it is advisable to stay off consuming lime while you are pregnant and breastfeeding. Now is a good time to add some lime to your fruits collection you can also add some lime juice to your smoothie and cooking. It is easily affordable and available. ENJOY….